Tuesday, February 12, 2008

NOT A CLASS POST- How to do Email alerts for new blog posts

okay, so this is going to sound really nerdy, but I know it's been really hard for me to keep track of all the blogs in my group and i decided i wanted to set up email alerts for all of them so that when something new gets posted, i get a message saying "read me!"

Well, technically speaking, it's not an email, it's a post into my Google Reader feed, which shows up on my igoogle homepage. you can have it show up on your MyYahoo page if you like, too.

to get the RSS feed (that's what it's called) on your IGoogle page, simply scroll down to the bottom of the Blogger page (I'll get to wordpress in a minute) and click the link titled " Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)"

A page will pop up in a new tab or window asking how you'd like to subscribe to the feed, via google (igoogle page) yahoo (myyahoo page) or a few other options I'm not familiar with. you choose one and click subscribe now.

depending on which you pick, your yahoo or Google Reader page will come up ( I have both, so I tried both). On Yahoo, you'll get a message asking if you'd like to add this feed to your My Yahoo page. click yes and it'll add it in the center column at the bottom. With Google, it'll ask you if you'd like to add it to google reader, which manages the feeds and puts them in a nice little box on your i google page.

I haven't tried word press with the yahoo yet, but for google, once you're inside that Google reader page, there's an option on the lefthand sidebar called "Add Subscription." If you click that, a menu will appear asking for a search term or a feed url (the website address of the wordpress blog works fine) Paste the URL in and click ok- if it's the right URL, the blog should be added to your subscription list and the widget on your igoogle page will show when you have new posts to read. NOTE: you might have to add the widget to your Igoogle page for it to do any good.

But nifty, yes?

Just thought I should share this valuable information.

1 comment: