Thursday, June 26, 2008

Why I have a Problem with fanfic 100

On-line lately there has been an outpouring of LJ communities who specialize in doling out 100-prompts, little ideas that you, the author, are supposed to execute in 100 words.

I have a problem with these.

Why?

Because that's not a story, that's a snapshot. Heck, that's not even a snapshot; a picture's supposed to be worth a thousand words, ten of these little...woodles, as I call them. I've been noticing on my RSS feed of recently updated C.S. Lewis stories that more and more of these are being done, and I think you should up the word count to at least a thousand. It's not that hard to write 1000 words. Anthony Trollope forced himself to write 3000 every DAY.

I know that in the world of college essays and timed writing, word counts are getting to be more and more of an issue, to make it easier on your professors and graders. But a story has no word limit- God does not say, please live your life in this many years or less, otherwise points will be docked. I tell a story until I am done telling it, or it is done telling me what to write. And in the long run, only writing 100 words leaves you no practice for developing character, sustaining plot, or taking in a whole moment. It narrows your vision, forces you to find the barest of details to set a scene. You shouldn't limit yourselves to a mere 100 words. It's only a tenth of the picture, and your reader wants to see the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment