Saturday, February 7, 2009

Foiled by the Hill AGAIN!


Okay, it's bad enough when you constantly check books out of the library like these:





(Yes, that last one really is the size of my head -- it's a little over 1000 pages and weighs about five pounds. I think I have a serious problem when the books I check out for kicks and giggles are bigger than the ones I check out for actual classwork.)


But it's really bad when you're looking for obscure books in the library catalog and not only does your library have them, but they're so obscure they're held at the RARE BOOK LIBRARY on your campus.




Yeah, that's right. I've been foiled by the Hill Manuscript Museum and Library on not one, but TWO books tonight. I wanted a copy of "Berengaria : in search of Richard the Lionheart's queen" and "A History of Deeds Done Beyond the Sea" (the Babcock translation) and both of them are at the Hill.

I know, I need a new hobby. Or a life. But I really don't care.


And I just found out this evening that Hildegarde of Bingen, my favorite 11th century mystic, told someone not to marry Princess Sybilla of Jerusalem. This makes me excited!



...Yes, I have a favorite 12th century mystic. Deal with it.

2 comments:

  1. Sadly, I'm not the person to tell you you need a new hobby, Merc - especially since I share the 'fanaticism for all 12th century' thing too. It's deeply sad when what makes your day is finding The Crusades: The Story of the Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem in the original! 1895 edition in the John Rylands Library and then squeeing because it quotes a lot of William of Tyre...
    Hell. WE love it. Why not?
    I am deeply jealous of your book list, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, again you are the consummate smart English student whereas I am the consummate lazy-ass English student.

    You're making me look bad! :)

    I think it's cool you read things (that are historical/scholarly) outside of your regular assigned readings.

    ReplyDelete