Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Centennial Dress Project: The Patternmaster Cometh

I set myself a goal that by the end of August I would have a pattern picked out and purchased. Well, we all see how that worked out -- August has come and been, and I have no pattern. I've subscribed to a lot more sewing blogs, done a lot more research, have made more plans to do even more research, and instead of putting me farther in front of the beast, I felt like all this prep work was putting me further behind the beast instead.  There are a lot of really talented bloggers out there, and they have some really beautiful work. 

To put it nicely, I was feeling that I wasn't talented enough, smart enough, or well read enough to complete a project and show it off to people. And if I was going to show it off to people, I was going to get my ass chewed out for not doing something historically appropriate.

Then I went in to volunteer at my living history farm the other day -- I wore my new skirt (sewn entirely by myself) and the apron that I made as my first sewing project at the Farm. I wanted to make sure my outfit looked okay (I wore a button-up blouse from my closet, just something white with a low collar that I'd bought because it looked vaguely historical and I needed white button-up shirts for work) and the first thing my supervisor said was "Wow, you look really good today!"

And that made me feel really, really good, because I needed a win in the costuming department.

I then proceeded to give three really stellar tours that day, collect 22 eggs from our chickens, and bake an entire apple pie, handmade crust to handmade crust, all by myself in a wood burning stove. I was a historical superwoman. It was awesome.

I decided after that that the dress really does have to happen, and I have to bite the bullet and take whatever flak the internet and my fellow alums and the theatre department and the history department  and whoever else decides to join throws at me.

But I still need a pattern first. 

Here's my shortlist:

1. Sense and Sensibility's 1914 Afternoon Dress Pattern

http://sensibility.com/blog/patterns/1914-afternoon-dress/

Some of the iterations of this dress have a different colored skirt, and the pattern itself seems to have a lot of options with it. Plus I hear good things about this company. (I don't like the pattern envelope image; I don't think it does the dress justice. Click through the link to see more pictures!)

2. Hint of History's 1912 Shawl Collar Dress Pattern

http://www.hintofhistory.com/2009/03/1910s-fashion-collection.html

Apparently it's only 'inspired by' a historical pattern, but I like the look.

3. Skirt and waist patterns from Saundra Ros Altman's Past Patterns.

These are reproductions of actual historical patterns; they come with little or no instruction, but they'll be accurate in terms of cutting. (Construction will be another matter, but hey, sewing machines are period in 1913.) They will be a heck of a lot harder, but possibly more rewarding as well.



Anyone have a pattern supplier they really like in terms of 1910s garb? Any suggestions, comments, tidbits to add? Which pattern do you think I should go for?


No comments:

Post a Comment