Sunday, October 5, 2008

Not for Want of Connection

It's amazing how small the world becomes as I sit in front of my computer. I sit here and find out that a girl in Manchester whose writing I adore has read the same book as I have and had the same revelations and I don't even know her name. And she wants to know what I write on this blog. I think that's pretty awesome. (That's Petit Parapluie, for those wondering -- she owns me at writing. Seriously. No joke. I don't joke about talent.)

I sit here and look for books on my research project on Irish Rebel Music and find out that there are maybe five books in the whole world written on that particular subject and that the resources I need won't even come from the state of Minnesota. Some of them only reside in universities in Canada and Ireland. One of the texts I'd like only lives in the library at Cambridge University.

THE Cambridge University. In England. The famous one.

My other research project for this semester is going to be on fanfiction vocabulary, and that's such a new topic there are also maybe three books in the world on it, (three published books, that is) and that amazes me. I'm going to write a paper on something that few people in the world have considered worthy of scholarly study.

I'm blazing a trail here. My librarian assures me that this is the stuff of masters theses.

And this boggles my mind. I've got friends in places I haven't even seen, freinds I've never met and probably never will. I'm doing something that other people haven't done. My world is becoming so much wider, and all I've done is sat here, in front of my computer.

Imagine what will happen when I leave my room, my campus, my homeland -- what possibilities await me there!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you flatter me, Mercury! A blog post all to myself? *hides head in delighted embarassment* I ABSOLUTELY agree with you on the lovely connectivity of books - i was absolutely ASTOUNDED when I flicked through and found another Adventure of English enthusiast! I worshipped that book at sixth form college - everyone else hated it with a vengeance, but I have quite an interest in medieval literature (haha). I didn't even know it was available in America! Amazing,really, when you think we're talking across 'the infinite vastness of space' - you in America, me in good old rainy Manchester - the original 'mud flats,' by the way that Mirrum talks about so much. What would the inventors of the telegram have thought? Words within minutes of each other, almost...
    PP - or Helen, if you like...
    :P

    ReplyDelete