Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Random Culture Find Status- War, Inc and recent article

I told you several weeks ago in a post about a movie that was coming out called War, Inc with John Cusack and some other people about a war in which everything has been branded. I'm not personally jumping up to go see this movie (I'm not a huge John Cusack fan) but neither, it seems, is anyone else.

Mark Caro, of the Chicago Tribune, wrote in his "Pop Machine" blog as well as in the Sunday, May 18th section of the Trib,

"...“War, Inc.” isn’t exactly riding the blockbuster train either. Co-written by Cusack (and, as he told me last year, largely directed by him despite a full credit for Joshua Seftel), this “Grosse Pointe Blank”-meets-Naomi Klein [bold print mine] political satire opens next Friday in New York and Los Angeles but has no further release dates scheduled, including in his hometown. (John’s sister Joan, another Chicagoan, co-stars.)"


What did I tell you people! Naomi Klein No-Logo-ism all over the place! Anyway- Professor Steve would be proud of me. I felt smart; I knew what Mark Caro was talking about. GO THEORY!

Now, Caro goes on to talk about how the movie isn't very well publicised and how the less than success of the film is also due in part to the critical response it got at the Tribeca Film festival. Representation, anyone? Having a movie be successful is just as much about advertising (guaranteed representation) as it is about how the press and the public represent it. The best movies are the ones you walk out of the theater wanting all your freinds to see so you can discuss it. Apparently War, Inc is not one of these movies. Shame, really. Naomi Klein deserves more screen time herself.

2 comments:

  1. have you seen it yet?

    it's not playing in St. Cloud (not surprisingly)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not yet. I think I'll wait for the DVD, though...

    ReplyDelete