Thursday, May 15, 2008

Student teaching DAY THREE, FOUR, and FIVE

yesterday was student teaching day three, which began miserably (for a laundry list of reasons) and ended reasonably well. I forgot to give my dad a job application, my mother made me change a perfectly cute outfit, and I had cramps. glorious way to start a Wednesday.

anyway, I really don't know what happened between 8 and 3, but by the end of the day I was feeling pretty good about myself.

More on that later. We began watching The Age of Innocence in Mrs. A's first AP class, and Edith Wharton and Martin Scorsese have me hooked. I want to see the end of this film come hell or high water. I've even started writing a short story set in the 1870s. I like it so far, although there's a bump in the middle that's tastelessly overwrought and sounds suspiciously like a bad paperback of a certain genre that women of a certain age seem to flock to like flies to fruit. My main character (Beth Danderidge) had the misfortune to loose her father and then have her fiance run off to Argentina. She fled to Europe, learned a lot about herself, and is now trying to deal with Society with a capital S and her treacherous fiance's best friend, whom she jilts because she really doesn't like him.

.... Dear lord, that sounds worse now than when I started writing it. Alright, so the only merit this piece has now is its prose. Oh well. The trials and tribulations of attempting to write something happy and only getting trash.

Day four has yet to end, and was also amazing. I lead a little bit of a class discussion on poetry and how you approach it, got a chance to read two poems (one of mine and one of Carl Sandberg's) to the 2R students, shared an expierence where I made the right choice with the 2B students (they didn't seem impressed with a 20 page research paper)

Day five is just starting, so I'll update all y'all later.

No comments:

Post a Comment