Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Everything Old is New Again

In case you were wondering, the title of this post is the theme of this semester's reading material. Last semester I realized I was very into the 'women's studies' area of historical exploration, and I decided I needed a focused vein of inquiry in my free reading books. I wanted to re-read all of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey Maturin Series (armed with my two news books from paperbackswap, Men of War: Life in Nelson's Navy by P O'B himself, and Harbors and High Seas: An Atlas and Geographical Guide to the Complete Aubrey-Maturin Novels of Patrick O'Brian. (I'm waiting for a copy of this book to show up on my Wish List Request Filled queue any day now -- When I have that, my P O'B experience will be complete. Plus I'll be able to make a dish called The Last of the True French Short Bastards. I love historical cookbooks.)

So that's this semester's theme: Everything Old is New Again. I'm reading many books I've already read before, many books I haven't, but are on historical things -- I'm in the middle of Colossus: The Secrets of Bletchley Park's Codebreaking Computers and Public Enemies: America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, which as we speak is being made into a movie.

Photobucket Photobucket



Yeah, I'm excited, too. Crime, Tommy guns, the 1930s, and Christian Bale. But I digress.

So I took this "What Kind of Reader are You?" Quiz (as seen and promoted on Jane Austen Today, which I subscribe to.) and this is what I got:


What Kind of Reader Are You?
Your Result: Book Snob

You like to think you're one of the literati, but actually you're just a snob who can read. You read mostly for the social credit you can get out of it.

Literate Good Citizen
Dedicated Reader
Obsessive-Compulsive Bookworm
Fad Reader
Non-Reader
What Kind of Reader Are You?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

I have to say, I'm a little...leery of this result. I don't think I read for social credit (although, granted, being the person at parties who always has random things to say is a social function, albeit not a very loved one.) But I want to know now -- Who gets social credit for reading?

2 comments:

  1. Maybe social credit like, for example: my ways of reading professor says that class has a main function of being a good source of cocktail party conversation. "Well, in his inaugural speech, President Obama used the rhetorical tool of anaphora but not necessarily lytotes..." Stuff like that? I dunno, I'm just an English major, I'm not supposed to know about books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Social credit? Surely that's a compliment! You're enriching the lives of those around you with pearls of wisdom and genius - besides, it is a far, far better thing to be the one with the knowledge! (speaking as a self-diagnosed book-snob)
    I have to admit, I...cheated at the test, to find out how hard it was to be an obsessive-compulsive bookworm. The distinction between snob and bookworm is by one question. I'm glad your semester is interesting. My new lectures are on the ever-enjoyable topic of 'Marxism in Mary Shelley' - a different viewpoint from mine, but oh well. I love the sound of True French Short Bastards. And I thought Toad in the Hole sounded odd...

    ReplyDelete